Skip to main content
Preschool Development Grant (PDG) Communities for Kids Plus (C4K+)

Frequently Asked Questions

Eligibility Information and FAQ:

Three PDG Webinars were offered on July 14 and 15, 2020 by Nebraska Children and Families Foundation’s Communities for Kids staff. Attendance was taken for all three webinars as mandatory attendance was required in order for communities to be eligible to participate in C4K+. Attendees were invited by email on July 16, 2020 to submit a Letter of Interest. 

 Key points to keep in mind: 

  • Only one Letter of Interest will be accepted per eligible community; the community will therefore be committing to working together to align all systems and partners moving forward 
  • Communities are eligible if they are already affiliated with Nebraska Children and Families Foundation initiatives. Only these communities can submit the Letter of Interest. 
  • Community can be how you define it: one town, city, county, two or three towns, cities or counties, or a larger regional area 
  • Your community can select any one or more of the opportunities being offered; checking the box does not obligate your community to participate, but does help us to gauge interest in the different opportunities 
  • It will be important to work with an accessible and communicative fiscal agent for these opportunities  

Q. Which communities are being offered these opportunities?  
A. These opportunities are being extended to communities where there is already an initiative in place through Nebraska Children and Families Foundation.  Other communities are not currently eligible for this opportunity—however—through the PDG grant, we will be expanding our Communities for Kids initiative to 10 new communities in 2021.

Q. What if our community/county/area has an affiliation with Nebraska Children and wants to include some non-affiliated counties in our proposals for these opportunities? 
A. Yes! Again, as long as there is an affiliation with Nebraska Children, the community is welcome to apply – and it is up to that community if they wish to include additional communities/counties/areas. 

Q. Does our organization need to have an established fiscal agent to participate? 
A. It is preferred that interested communities have a fiscal agent already identified or be in the process of identifying/establishing one at the time of submitting the Letter of Interest.

Q. If we already have an assigned coordinator, can we still have access to this opportunity? 
A. Yes! This opportunity can provide an expansion of the coordinator position if one has already been designated.  It can expand the position from part time to full time, add a second part time person, or add fringe benefits. This opportunity can be designed for what best fits each community’s needs. 

Q. What happens to the projects when the PDG is over?  

A. The PDG opportunities are short term, deep-dive projects for your community to make a major impact in expanding the early childhood landscape in Nebraska.  All contracts are contingent upon receipt of federal funds. Year one (7 months) funding is guaranteed. Year two and three funding are not guaranteed and will be contingent upon congressional approval. Therefore, it will be important to leverage funds and develop a plan in your community to sustain developed programs and positions. 

Q. Can our community participate in more than one of the opportunities (for example, both an ECCC and bilingual support)? 
A. Yes! Communities should indicate in their Letter of Interest which opportunities they are interested in, and can certainly indicate an interest in all the opportunities if they choose.

Q. If our collaborative has several different Nebraska Children affiliations, can all of them apply? 
A. Only one application per community will be considered.  If multiple Nebraska Children initiatives are present in a community, those groups should plan to align their work and submit one Letter of Interest. 

Financial and Contract Information and Questions

Q. What source was used to define population for the funding tiers? 
A. We utilized census data from

Q. How will decisions be made regarding total contract amounts for the Early Childhood Community Coordinator? 
A. The final amounts will depend upon the appropriate tier that the designated community falls under.

Q. What will the grant period be?  
A. The initial contract will be October 1, 2020 – April 30, 2021. The subsequent years are expected to be May 1 through April 30.  

Q. The timeline states contract announcements will be made September 25 with the contracts starting on October 1. If we want to hire an Early Childhood Community Coordinator, can we get our budget approved before the contract announcements so that we can post the job opening, interview candidates, and have someone ready to onboard starting October 1? 
A. If your community chooses to advertise before the announcement is made, those expenses will not be reimbursable prior to the contract starting on October 1. Any costs incurred during a hiring process before the contract start date cannot be included in the ECCC budget and must be paid for by other funds. 

Q. Can public funds be braided with these funds? 
A. Yes! We highly encourage braided funding with all these opportunities. It will be important to begin conversations from the start about how these programs can be sustained after the PDG funding ends. Nebraska Children is requiring 10% leveraged funds for the Early Childhood Community Coordinator opportunity. 

Q. What leveraged funds will be required for each community?
A. 10% leveraged funding is required. Leveraged funds can include in-kind supports such as office supplies, use of office space, or fiscal agent time. Monetary/cash supports can also be used to support the position and meet the 10% requirement.  

Q. Can a community request a certain amount in the first year and increase if needed in the subsequent years? 
A. It is expected that the same amount will be contracted each year for the Early Childhood Community Coordinator position. There will be more flexibility with the other opportunities (the Quality and Capacity Building, Early Learning Scholarships, and Spanish/Bilingual Initiative). 

Q. Can a community request a certain amount in the first year and increase if needed in the subsequent years?  
A. It is expected that the same amount will be contracted each year for the Early Childhood Community Coordinator position. There will be more flexibility with the other opportunities (the Quality and Capacity Building, Early Learning Scholarships, and Spanish/Bilingual Initiative). 

Q. What is the expected turn-around time for expense reimbursement? 
A. Once a month reporting will be required and when all required documentation is submitted with an invoice, the expected turnaround time will be approximately 30 days.  

Q. On the timeline, it states the initial contract period for the ECCC will be October 1 - April 30 (7 months). Will the budget be pro-rated since this is not a full year? 
A. The full yearly amount will be allocated.  Nebraska Children is utilizing a reimbursement system for these opportunities and each community will allocate funds differently. Communities during this initial 7 months can use 25% of the allocated funding for startup costs such as a computer, printer, and training.   

General Questions

Q. Is there also an RFP process for the Early Learning Scholarships, Quality and Capacity Building, and Spanish/Bilingual initiatives? 
A. No, there is no additional RFP process for the other opportunities. If your community is interested, these opportunities will be discussed, offered, and negotiated and then added to an already existing Nebraska Children contract. 

Q. If we are an established Nebraska Children initiative community and are submitting our work plan/budget for the 2020-21 year, does it need to include the C4K+ details as well? 
A. If you have already completed your Nebraska Children initiative work plan and budget for the fiscal year, the C4K+ work plan and budget can be separate. If you have not already submitted your initiative work plan and budget, you can include the C4K+ work in your initiative work plan. 

Q. Can two regional communities partner for a request geared towards current provider education, but then also request separately for different funding initiatives specific to their community? 
A. Yes!  This is an innovative way to drive change. No two communities will look alike, and this is a great example of an idea that could help propel your region into a deep dive of improvement of the early childhood landscape. 

Q. If our community isn’t ready to participate in C4K+ opportunities this year, can we submit a Letter of Interest next year? 
A. At this time, the PDG/C4K+ opportunities are funded for one year with anticipation of being fuded for two additional years, pending congressional approval.  These opportunities offer a short term, deep-dive approach for your community to make a major impact in expanding the early childhood landscape in Nebraska.  Because of the short-term funding and wanting communities to make a major impact, all interested communities should submit a Letter of Interest by August 7, 2020.  Keep in mind, if your community isn’t sure about participating, technical assistance will be available to help guide your community through this process. 

Q. It appears there are only funding tiers shown for the ECCC. What are the funding amounts for the other opportunities?  
A. The funding amounts for the other C4K+ opportunities will be extended as offers to communities. The amount of funding will be based on population, opportunity, and discussion with each community. More detailed information about each opportunity is currently being developed.

Q. Could the ECCC position and responsibilities be divided amongst multiple existing coordinators rather than trying to fund a new position?  
A. Yes! This can be completely tailored to fit the needs of your community and is one of the many examples of how the ECCC funds can be used. 

Q. Could separate communities apply for their own ECCC funding to develop a competitive salary, then utilize one person to coordinate all areas within a region? 
A. This is a possibility. Communities will need to work together to come up with a comprehensive plan on these details, with regards to fiscal agent(s) and ability to evaluate expected outcomes in a larger region.  

Q. If our community participates in the Early Learning Scholarships, Quality and Capacity Building, or Spanish Speaking/Bilingual Initiative opportunities, could the money reimbursed from those opportunities also contribute to the salary of the ECCC?  
A. Funds for the Early Learning Scholarships and the Quality and Capacity Building opportunity should not include salary for the ECCC as the intent of those opportunities is to make a direct impact for child care providers and families. The Spanish Speaking/Bilingual Initiative may include salary if it is justifiable. 

Q. If we define our communities one way for the opportunities this year, can we shift who is involved in years 2 or 3?
A. The dollar amount for the Early Childhood Community Coordinator will be fixed based on the tier of funding that is part of the initial proposal.  If the community determines that its initial partnership could be enhanced or changed to better meet the early childhood needs for additional communities, change could be made to the overall structure, however, funding amount will not be changed.  If a community requests to reduce the area, an assessment of population with be made and amount may be adjusted to a lower tier of funding. 

Q. How definite does a community need to be on its vision for the Early Childhood Community Coordinator in the Letter of Interest? 
A. The Letter of Interest is primarily an indication of interest in the different opportunities. The community should have a good general idea of which areas will be included as they complete the LOI, but the final contract will be based on the proposal that is due September 11, 2020, and that is the document where the vision for the Early Childhood Community Coordinator will be more complete.

Q. If we are not interested in Early Childhood Community Coordinator dollars, should we still submit a Letter of Interest? 
A. Yes! The ECCC is not a requirement to participate in the other opportunities. Check the boxes of whatever you are interested in on the Letter of Interest. You will not need to complete the additional required ECCC information at the bottom of the letter.

Q. For the Spanish Speaking/Bilingual Initiative, would these dollars be able to fund a language other than Spanish? 
A. This opportunity only applies to the Spanish-speaking population. It is possible that we may look at other languages in the future through different funding sources.

Q. If our community does not meet the 15% threshold of Hispanic/Latinx people, could we focus on a specific neighborhood or area where that threshold would be met?
A. The dollars for this initiative are limited and we will only be able to fund 7 to 10 communities total—thus, this is only a possibility if communities meeting this threshold do not show interest in this opportunity. It is possible, however, that this need could be met through the Quality and Capacity Building funds.